Unpacking the SkyWatcher EQ6-R mount

The EQ6-R has arrived on Thursday and I unpacked it that night. No surprises there….

Here are some photos of the process:

img_2751 img_2753 img_2754 img_2755img_2756 img_2757 img_2758The handle makes it easy to lift the mount head with one hand.img_2759 img_2762The adjustments bolts look quite solid, at least 15mm on the main altitude bolt and 12mm on the other three.img_2766 img_2767Saddle takes Vixen and Losmandy.img_2768 Probably not many changes visible here on the cable panel except for the power connector that is now a solid screw on type.img_2769 img_2770Synscan loaded with version 04.37.03.

img_2772 img_2773 img_2774Waiting for the weekend now and a mounting plate for my Orion ED 80mm EON and also a Losmandy DM8  dovetail plate for my Meade 8″ SCT.

SkyWatcher EQ6-R mount

Well, I have finally surrendered to the temptation of getting myself a heavy mount.

Initially I was looking at the Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro but then discovered that the brand new Skywatcher EQ6-R mount is available on a limited product release from an Aussie supplier. Major changes are the belt driven system with zero backlash, PPEC support, newer motor drive with lower periodic error, improved tracking accuracy, 20kg payload capacity and a carrying handle!

skywatcher_eq6r

Basic specs are as follows:

eq6-r-specs

Will be delivered next week so expect more feedback here soon ……

Worm Wheel and Worm for anyone?

I am thinking of making some more worm wheels soon. My new lathe will be set up soon and it will allow me to make the worm wheels much quicker and hopefully more accurate.

If anybody is interested in ordering a specific worm wheel, please let me know and I will see what I can do. Send me your requirements ( starsinphotos@gmail.com ) with the size of the wheel (or the number of teeth. I suggest that you use an ACME thread as it does not bind as easily as a metric thread. I could also make the worm from an ACME threaded rod  (10mm diameter with a 2mm pitch) as shown in my blog.

I will look at your requirements and let you know if I can make it and then we can discuss a price that suits us both.

Updated 19 June 2016:  I have found that nothing is easy. The lathe is not quicker, if anything its harder to get it right. I will have to fine tune the production process before I can go into the business of selling worm gears. 🙂

Tracker 5 April 15-1149 Tracker 5 April 15-1148 Worm detail Jan15-1 2 x 130mm Al disks Tracker progress Jan15-1 IMG_1726

Canon EOS 600D IR filter Replacement Results

A couple of weekends ago, late on a Sunday afternoon I decided that the time was right to open up my 600D. I suppose I was in a hurry and couldn’t wait any longer. The clear glass replacement filter has just been sitting there and I was already prepared with all my tools and silicon, etc.

So I did it.

IMG_1391

IMG_1396

Opening the camera up was pretty easy. I used the following websites to guide me along:

http://dslrmodifications.com/rebelmod450d1.html

http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials/canon-t3i

IMG_1400

A large number of very small and delicate connectors have to be disconnected.

IMG_1401

IMG_1407

IMG_1411

Eventually the CCD assembly can be removed.

IMG_1418

This is the complete filter and imaging chip assembly, before I took it apart (and almost broke it…)

IMG_1420

The piezoelectric element is removed here..

IMG_1431

And here I was too impatient and broke the IR cut filter. The crack line can be seen from top left to bottom right. I should have ready the instructions in more detail! Take it from me, don’t be in a hurry when you do this. Fortunately there was no damage to the imager chip and after I cleaned all the filter glass fragments off the CCD surface I could start the assembly process again.

The clearglass filter replaced both the IR cut filter and the piezoelectric filter element. I have now modified the camera to a full spectrum camera.

IMG_1429

Pieces of the IR cut filter. This is not the way to do it!

IMG_1433

Inside of camera, looking at the back of the shutter.

IMG_1432

Putting it all together was reasonably easy. The most difficult part was to get the imaging assembly in the correct position to allow the auto focus to work properly.  I will have to make some more adjustments to get the auto focus to be more accurate. It can wait as I mostly use manual focus for astrophotography anyway.

A big sigh of relief when the camera fires up and still works !

IMG_0124

IMG_0119

A weekend later and I was testing the camera under an almost dark sky. Nothing spectacular but just confirming that it all works as it should.

Orion Nebula (M42 / M43)

Picture saved with settings embedded.

 

Large Magelanic Cloud (LMC)

Autosave

Coalsack with the Southern Cross and two pointers

Coalsack

And, the evening would not have been complete without a image of Carina.

Carina