A couple of weekends ago, late on a Sunday afternoon I decided that the time was right to open up my 600D. I suppose I was in a hurry and couldn’t wait any longer. The clear glass replacement filter has just been sitting there and I was already prepared with all my tools and silicon, etc.
So I did it.
Opening the camera up was pretty easy. I used the following websites to guide me along:
A large number of very small and delicate connectors have to be disconnected.
Eventually the CCD assembly can be removed.
This is the complete filter and imaging chip assembly, before I took it apart (and almost broke it…)
The piezoelectric element is removed here..
And here I was too impatient and broke the IR cut filter. The crack line can be seen from top left to bottom right. I should have ready the instructions in more detail! Take it from me, don’t be in a hurry when you do this. Fortunately there was no damage to the imager chip and after I cleaned all the filter glass fragments off the CCD surface I could start the assembly process again.
The clearglass filter replaced both the IR cut filter and the piezoelectric filter element. I have now modified the camera to a full spectrum camera.
Pieces of the IR cut filter. This is not the way to do it!
Inside of camera, looking at the back of the shutter.
Putting it all together was reasonably easy. The most difficult part was to get the imaging assembly in the correct position to allow the auto focus to work properly. I will have to make some more adjustments to get the auto focus to be more accurate. It can wait as I mostly use manual focus for astrophotography anyway.
A big sigh of relief when the camera fires up and still works !
A weekend later and I was testing the camera under an almost dark sky. Nothing spectacular but just confirming that it all works as it should.
Orion Nebula (M42 / M43)
Large Magelanic Cloud (LMC)
Coalsack with the Southern Cross and two pointers
And, the evening would not have been complete without a image of Carina.